Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Now what?

It snowed here again yesterday and is bitterly cold today. It is definitely good weather to catch up on my knitting and cross-stitching.....and dusting, vacuuming, etc. That is if I can do any of that after shoveling an awful lot of snow. Actually, hubby clears most of it with our snow-blower, but I clear the front porch and back deck (for access to our garbage cans) and generally clean up.

I did finish all the major parts of my Barn Jacket! Yay!
 I'm sorry for the really bad picture but the light was poor because of the weather and the time of day.

Now what? 

This is where I knew I would get cold feet. I understand how to finish the pockets and I even think I can sew the shoulder seams.....these are the next 2 steps. Then.......I need to pick up stitches for the button band. Oh my, I have never done this before. Does anyone have any tips for me or any tutorials that could help? I have gotten this far and I really don't want to mess up. 

I thought I would show you a Christmas gift from my kids:

Now I have a place where I can actually find all my knitting needles and know what sizes I have. No more rooting through a plastic box that also contained yarn odds and ends. I love the organization.

Now a question? Does anybody know what the light blue needles are on the bottom left? Here is a close-up picture.
 Each of these has an eye on the right-hand end and they have the words K-tel Knitting printed on them. I inherited these and have no idea what they are used for.

Joining Ginny's Yarn Along again this week. What are you knitting/crocheting? What are you reading? Pop on over to her site to see what others are up to. 

I am almost finished reading The Friday Night Knitting Club. I am really enjoying this book. I like books that explore the relationships between female friends. Kate Jacobs is quite good at drawing you into the story. This is quite an easy read.

Thanks for stopping by.

9 comments:

  1. Now to seam up that pretty sweater! I knit mostly top down to avoid all the sewing but now that I know the mattress stitch I think I wouldn't mind the task. Great present from your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So now I need to look up the mattress stitch. Thanks for the info.

      Delete
  2. Seams ... bleah ... I can't wait to see the sweater finished ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing gift!! I have the same problem taking photos because of the lack of natural light.

    Here's my WIP: http://mibruno.com/en-proceso-124/

    ReplyDelete
  4. looked at the sweater close up by clicking on it; (am on a smallish tablet); very nice!!! well done! would love to see it finished! :) thanks for your comment and good wishes today; lovely case; do you know where you kids got it? looks perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, the case is a Yazzii quilted cotton knitting needle case. I can be found at Sears and Knitting-warehouse.com. It is no longer available where they ordered from.

      Delete
  5. http://www.hugsforyourhead.com/2012/10/cool-knitting-tools-grant-one-needle.html

    read here about your mystery tool! Good luck with the seaming~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link. Now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. on picking up the button band….one of the most liberating things I ever learned….in a finishing class….from a real pro…..if you don't like the way the band looks, rip it out and redo------she said she rarely gets it to her liking on the first try!! don't know why i needed someone to tell me this!!! Did you pattern tell you with worsted wt yarn you want to pick up about 4 stitches for every 5 rows? (sometimes the patterns fail to tell you this) good luck!!! now off to see what those gizmos are…I LOVE knitting toys and I've never seen those before!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.